The Mevlevi Tekke Museum
The building to the South of the Kyrenia Gate was constructed
towards the end of the 16th century by Arap Ahmet Pasha
after the conquest of the island by the Ottomans.
commander of the conquering army, Lala Mustafa Pasha, Arap
Ahmet Pasha, and the first kadi and mufti of the island were
members of the Mevlevi order (order of dervishes founded by
Mevlana Jalaladdin Rumi, called also the "whirling dervishes").
the building, there are tombs and a semahane (dervish meeting-house
for religious music and whirling). Until Ataturk banned the
lodges in 1920, it served as a Mevlevi Lodge; its last sheikh
or head of the order died in 1954. At the entrance
to the lodge there is a headdress, a panel and a fountain.
Sixteen Mevlevi sheiks are buried in the six tombs in the
building which constitutes a different aesthetic sight in
the city centre is now used as a museum of ethnography.